James Edward Hanger was hit by shrapnel from a cannonball at the beginning of the American Civil War, but rather than settle for a pegleg, he returned home to Virginia and began designing an alternative – the world’s first articulated prosthetic that could bend like a real leg.
- What is NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration)?
- Building the Erie Canal: Explained
- What is the Department of Transportation?
- What is Propaganda?
- What is the Department of the Interior?
- Shirley Chisholm: Confronting the Political Machine
- What is the National Archives and Records Administration?
- What Caused the War of 1812?
- What Are Congressional Investigations?
- Hazelwood v. Kuhlmeier: Free Speech in School